Monday, November 5, 2018

Routine and Not Routine

This is my fourth year in a row in taking a trip to Antarctica and it is my seventh trip overall. The result of this experience is that some things become routine and consistent, even with the unpredictability and uncertainty of traveling to and working in Antarctica. The most routine part of the trip is in the preparations, the travel to/from Christchurch, New Zealand, and the initial day and a half in Christchurch. After that, the biggest thing that is routine is the uncertainty with how most everything is done.

I have kept pack lists of what I have brought with me for each of my trips to Antarctica. The two key reasons for this are to make packing easier the next time around, even if it is unknown if there will be another trip. The second reason is that having the pack list helps me to minimize what I pack. I was noticing during my packing a few days ago that not only is what I bring consistent but I have also gotten into a pattern in how it is packed. I use two duffel bags and a daypack backpack. The two duffel bags gives me the flexibility to comply with the two checked bags less than 50 pounds for commercial air travel and the Antarctic limitation of 85 pounds in any number of bags. I also pack only gear and clothing to be used in Antarctica in one duffel bag so that I never have to open that bag while in New Zealand.
Duffel bags and daypack with my clothing, gear, and electronics for this year's trip to Antarctica.
The first full day in Christchurch is spent doing a series of introduction and orientation videos at the International Antarctic Center in Christchurch. These videos are the same year after year and they are very routine. From there, we get our flu vaccination, instruction on the clothing issue, followed by receiving the extreme cold weather gear that is issued to us for our time in Antarctica. Over the years, I have progressively brought more and more of my own cold weather clothing. It has gotten to the point that the only items that I take with me are the major items: the "big red" parka, insulated bibs, bunny boots, and a collection of hats, mittens, gloves, facemask, and goggles. The "big red" parka has sort of a serial number to track since they are worth so much. That number also indicates the year it was initially issued and I think my "big red" parka for this season is from 1989.
Receiving the instruction on the process of getting the issued cold weather gear and packing the baggage for the southbound flight. The instruction is given in the Antarctic Passenger Terminal in Christchurch.
Trying on my "big red" parka, bibs, and bunny boots issued to be at the CDC. The poster on the wall indicates what is required to be worn, or on you, when you board the plane for the trip to Antarctica.
The remainder of the full day in Christchurch is spent as you wish. I ended up taking a nap and working on my laptop in catching up with a collection of projects and tasks from work and home. It is always a flurry of activity when leaving Colorado. This year things were even a little more crazy as I moved a month ago and I still getting settled into my new home. I also had dinner with a group of friends, new and old, that are also on the same southbound flight.

For the most part, this is where the routine comes to an end. We were told during the instruction on the clothing issue that it was expected that we would not be flying today because of the weather. The confidence that it was told to me caught me a little off guard as I didn't think the weather forecast was that certain. The plan was that we would be notified by 4:30 AM if the flight was cancelled. I went to bed unsure if we'd be going and I was leaning towards we would not be flying. I woke up at 4:30 AM without having received a phone call. I checked the flight hotline and it said that we were confirmed for today's flight. From there it was shower, pack, and transport to the CDC. At the CDC we changed into our extreme cold weather gear and checked in the baggage to be placed on a pallet to be included in the military cargo flight. A break for breakfast and then the process of going through security, riding a bus to the C-17 cargo plane, and eventually taking off. In the end, we arrived into McMurdo this afternoon at a little after 2:00 PM. This is my sixth southbound flight (one trip was on a ship) and it is only the second time that I have arrived on my scheduled flight and time. Like I said, from here forward the only thing that is routine is that things aren't routine.

I'll update you more on arriving into Antarctica and getting settled in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment